August 13, 2007

Giving up Control

When I started homeschooling I had this ideal situation all planned out in my mind that Grace would be preforming at least a year or two ahead, learn another language, type, know all the states and capitals, all the countries in the world, and of course do Calculus at 8 years old.

And then....reality sat in. The truth was that she would not listen when I read, take 2-hours to do one page of math, constantly need to use the bathroom, and would, oh my goodness, surely not, be a REAL CHILD!

Well this year my expectations were less, but nevertheless they were way too high considering that we are trying to prepare land to move my grandparent (who have saved everything they have ever owned in their 78 years), do a major remodel to a house, and move. So, as of this past weekend I decided that it was okay if we did not study the human body and Western Civilzation in 2nd grade. We are going to go back to the three R's and then learn about some real life. I have been assured that she will benefit greatly from learning how to hammer, paint, cut up trees, pour concrete, hang drywall, and other such things.

I think the hardest thing for me is to let go of what "traditional" school should look like. I want her to know everything there is to know about everything. Such silliness! This too is God stretching me and teaching me to realize that many times things don't work the way we think they should, but He is always in control! To God be all the glory and Praise!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillippians 4:6-7

2 comments:

Sherri@NoiseOverload said...

You're a good woman. You are learning to flexible so early in your homeschooling years. Oh had I been so wise.

Julie@HighFive! said...

Oh I love, love, love that verse!

It's a real gift when you let go and remember what's really important! My first year homeschooling, I felt the same way, my son had to know everything about everything and EXCEL at it! Now, if that just isn't the most ludicrous thing.....